These are so good!
So I got 'the hummingbird bakery cookbook' for Christmas. I was so excited cause it was on my Amazon wish list. As I was looking through the book, I saw a homemade vanilla cupcake recipe. It sounded really good. So I tried making it over the weekend, and they came out pretty good. The recipes are pretty easy.
But after eating one cupcake a few hours before going to bed, that was a bad idea. I ended up dreaming about these cupcakes! Then I had to eat one as soon as I could in the morning. So funny.
Well, one day I plan on visiting the real The Hummingbird Baking in London, and tasting their delicious sweets they have there. Till then, I will keep baking/dreaming through my delicious book. Really good buy! Enjoy!
Vanilla Cupcakes (makes 12 cupcakes)
1 cup all-purpose flour
a scant 3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
12-hole cupcake pan
cupcake paper liners
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
2. Put flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with the paddle attachment. (Can use the handheld electic mixer instead.)
3. Beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
4. Then gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
5. Whisk the egg, vanilla, and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (make sure that your scrape down the side to get everything mixed). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the batter is smooth. Do not overmix!
6. Spoon the batter into the paper liners about two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden and the cake bounces back when touched.
7. Let the cupcakes cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. When cupcakes are cold, spoon on frosting and decorate.
Now for the frosting...
Vanilla Frosting (makes enough for 12 cupcakes)
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
5 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 tablespoons whole milk
a couple of drops of pure vanilla extract
1. Beat the confectioners' sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
2. Turn the mixer down to a slower speed. Combine the milk and vanilla in a separate bowl, the add to the butter mixture a couple of teaspoons at a time.
3. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. (The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.)
The completed cupcake...
Images from Me; Recipe from the book the hummingbird bakery cookbook