My grandmother use to make the best Lemon Meringue Pie. I use to smell her baking from a cross the street as a kid on our small farm in Indiana. Then wonder over to see her (and see if I could get some pie!) :D Love grandma!! She past away some years ago, but I still remember her pie. I never found the recipe she used, except for the meringue recipe, which looks like it's from a very old newspaper (not sure which one). So I decided to try and make one. Now, I've never made Lemon Meringue Pie before, ever. I would always just wait for grandma to make it or buy it from the store. I always worried it wouldn't come out like her pie. So even though I don't have the recipe I decided to go by the Jell-O box one, and just use her meringue one with it. It's funny as I made the pie I thought of how proud grandma would be that I'm trying to bake like her. It made me miss her... I will always miss her, but never forget her. So in honor of her, I made my first Lemon Meringue Pie. It's not grandma's, but it's the memory of her that the pie brings to me. And I love that most of all.... Enjoy!
Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
Prep: 25 mins Serves:8 (Jell-O Cook & Serve Pudding & Pie Filling - Lemon)
- Stir pudding mix, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and 2 beaten egg yolks in medium saucepan.
- Stir in 2 cups water.
- Bring to full boil on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cool 5 mins, stirring twice.
- Pour into cooled baked 9-inch pastry crust. (I used pre-made pie dough, and baked it in a 9-inch pie pan as per directions on pie dough box. Then let cool.)
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp cold water
1/2 cup boiling water
3 egg whites
6 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
- Blend cornstarch and cold water in a saucepan.
- Add boiling water and cook, stirring until clear and tickened.
- Let stand until completely cold.
- With electric beater at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff, but not dry.
- Turn mixer to low speed, add salt and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in cold cornstarch mixture.
- Turn mixer again to high speed and beat well.
- Spread meringue over cooled pie filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Images by Me; Recipes from Jell-O; Anonymous - Never-Fail Meringue Recipe