30 September 2012

Sunday With A Lemon Pie....

There's no other dessert than... Lemon Meringue Pie.

My grandmother use to make the best Lemon Meringue Pie.  I use to smell her baking from a cross the street as a kid on our small farm in Indiana.  Then wonder over to see her (and see if I could get some pie!)  :D  Love grandma!!  She past away some years ago, but I still remember her pie.  I never found the recipe she used, except for the meringue recipe, which looks like it's from a very old newspaper (not sure which one).  So I decided to try and make one.  Now, I've never made Lemon Meringue Pie before, ever.  I would always just wait for grandma to make it or buy it from the store.  I always worried it wouldn't come out like her pie.  So even though I don't have the recipe I decided to go by the Jell-O box one, and just use her meringue one with it.  It's funny as I made the pie I thought of how proud grandma would be that I'm trying to bake like her.  It made me miss her... I will always miss her, but never forget her.  So in honor of her, I made my first Lemon Meringue Pie.  It's not grandma's, but it's the memory of her that the pie brings to me.  And I love that most of all....  Enjoy!


Classic Lemon Meringue Pie

Prep: 25 mins Serves:8 (Jell-O Cook & Serve Pudding & Pie Filling - Lemon)
  • Stir pudding mix, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and 2 beaten egg yolks in medium saucepan.
  • Stir in 2 cups water.
  • Bring to full boil on medium heat, stirring constantly.
  • Cool 5 mins, stirring twice.
  • Pour into cooled baked 9-inch pastry crust. (I used pre-made pie dough, and baked it in a 9-inch pie pan as per directions on pie dough box.  Then let cool.) 

Never-Fail Meringue
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp cold water
1/2 cup boiling water
3 egg whites
6 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
  • Blend cornstarch and cold water in a saucepan. 
  • Add boiling water and cook, stirring until clear and tickened.
  • Let stand until completely cold.
  • With electric beater at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy.
  • Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff, but not dry.
  • Turn mixer to low speed, add salt and vanilla.
  • Gradually beat in cold cornstarch mixture.
  • Turn mixer again to high speed and beat well.
  • Spread meringue over cooled pie filling.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.







Images by Me; Recipes from Jell-O; Anonymous - Never-Fail Meringue Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...