Here's some tips on how to edit one's wardrobe:
- Get Started and Clean up
- Pull everything out of your wardrobe and onto the bed.
- Things you'll need for your editing:
- Full-length mirror
- Garbage bags
- Labels and lots of hangers
- Ask a friend to come over to help. Second opinions are great to have on deciding what items to keep and toss.
- Create four piles: (1) Things to Keep, (2) Items that need attention(dry clean/tailor), (3) Thing to Toss, (4) Things to Donate/Resell
- If it looks bad on you, haven't worn it in two years ('two-year rule'), or is too big or too small, it's time to get ride of it.
- Remember: Be ruthless when editing!
- Decide what to store
- Use seasonality or frequency of use be to determine what to keep in the closet and what to store.
- Skirts with skirts. Blouses with blouses. By keeping like with like, options for a given outfit are clear at a glance.
- Your closet will look neater if you use just one type of hanger—wood, sturdy wire, or plastic.
- Any clothing that will stretch out of shape should be folded over hangers.
- When organizing the folded clothing you’ll store on shelves, place heavier items at the bottom of the pile, and lighter ones at the top.
- After folding, arrange garments by function (workout tops together, business tops together, etc.) and color (white to nude to bright colors to black).
- If your closet doesn’t have shelves, consider using part of your clothing rod for hanging canvas ones.
- A sturdy canvas garment bag protects fine suits, dresses, and jackets better than plastic.
- Buy bins, baskets, containers, or hat/storage boxes to hold items that can’t be hung on hangers.
- Choose between a shoe rack on the floor, a hanging shoe organizer, see-through plastic boxes, or original shoe boxes with photographs stapled to them to identify the boxes’ contents.
- Add a boutique touch
- Paint the walls or the back wall
- Install vintage hooks
- Hang a pendant or small chandelier light
- Add an footstool or ottoman
Before changing the layout of my closet, I thought about looking up some closet style designs for inspirations. Here are some below:
Love the damask design! Anyone know good places to get damask storage boxes?
I need this shoe closet....and the shoes
Good luck on cleaning everyone! Spring is almost here!Images from Girl, Organized, A Passion for Home, Closet Solution, momoy.com, julianinterior.com, stylestring.com, colleenfoxinteriors.com, containerstore.com, newenglandclosetdesign.com, www.sweetspot.ca, e-tells-tales.blogspot.com, decor pad, Real Simple, the book: In Style: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend